Monday, January 14, 2013

Sausage, Peppers, and Pasta

This is one of my frequent go-to meals for the family when we time is short but I still want the satisfaction of a hearty meal.  My daughter Grace begs for this meal weekly, and there is truly nothing better than seeing her eyes light up when I answer the daily question of "What's for dinner??" with "Your favorite!"

I've made this recipe a little healthier lately by using whole wheat pasta and turkey sausage.  It's still delicious, and I find that all the flavors mask the taste of the whole wheat pasta.  (I appreciate it's better for you, but in my mind, it will never compare to "real" pasta).  Grace said, "I don't know what you did to this, but it's better than usual!"  I'll take it!

Sausage, Peppers, and Pasta
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1.25 pounds of Italian sausage, casings removed, broken into chunks (use whatever sausage you like--hot, mild, sweet, turkey, pork, or any combination thereof!)
  • 1 each red, yellow, and orange bell peppers, sliced
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine (I enjoy a Pinot Grigio)
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup grated parmesan
  • 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
  • 1/4 cup basil, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 lb short pasta such as rigatoni, bow tie, penne
Cook pasta according to package directions.  Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook sausage chunks in oil until they are no longer pink and begin to brown, about 7 minutes.  Add the onions, and cook until translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Then add garlic, cook 1 minute more.  Then add the wine, stirring to deglaze the pan and get all the lovely brown bits off the bottom.  Then add broth.  Season with the salt and pepper.  Then add all the sliced peppers to the top, turn the heat to low, and cover for 3 to 4 minutes, allowing the peppers to become a little tender without becoming soggy.  Then stir in the cooked pasta, parmesan cheese, parsley and basil.  Stir to combine, and let cook over the heat for a few minutes until the liquid is absorbed.  Serve immediately.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover